BG Group enjoys Pweza success offshore Tanzania

Image source: BG Group.Image source: BG Group.BG Group's appraisal of its Pweza gas field offshore Tanzania has been successfully completed with the company reporting "excellent reservoir quality"

Having finished a drill-stem test on the Pweza-3 well, BG confirmed the excellent properties of the Tertiary-section reservoir, including flow and connectivity.

The test, the first to be carried out on Tanzania's offshore Block 4, also confirmed BG's understanding and modelling of the field's geology.

The test flowed at a maximum rate of 57mn standard cubic feet of gas per day, constrained by equipment.

BG added that the test indicated that development wells could flow at much higher rates, calling the Pweza reservoir "potentially the most prolific in BG Group's Tanzania portfolio".

"Our acreage in Block 4 around the Pweza, Chewa and Ngisi discoveries is now fully appraised and tested, with resources in the order of four trillion cubic feet (tcf) of natural gas," said BG Group chief executive, Chris Finlayson in a company statement.

"The work done demonstrates the excellent quality of these fields and that they can be developed as a northern production hub to feed a potential LNG export project."

BG Group is the operator, with a 60 per cent interest, in Blocks 1, 3 and 4 offshore Tanzania. Ophir Energy holds the remaining 40 percent.

BG and Ophir are currently evaluating 3D seismic survey data in preparation for a new offshore exploration programme in 2014.

Alain Charles Publishing, University House, 11-13 Lower Grosvenor Place, London, SW1W 0EX, UK
T: +44 20 7834 7676, F: +44 20 7973 0076, W: www.alaincharles.com

twn Are you sure that you want to switch to desktop version?