Sonatrach and Gazprom discover oil and gas in Algeria

GAS2State-owned Algerian energy firm Sonatrach, along with its Russian partner Gazprom, has made a new oil and gas find in Block 236b of El Assel area in Algeria’s Berkine Basin

The RSHN-1 exploration well was drilled to a final depth of 4,120 metres. The flow rate of oil and gas were recorded at 8.5 cu/m per hour and 7.930 cu/m per hour respectively, Sonatrach said in a statement.

The new discovery is the third in number of joint discoveries made by Sonatrach and Gazprom in El Assel area. The other two discoveries in the same area were RSH-2 and ZERN-1 exploration wells, the statement added.

Sonatrach holds a 51 per cent stake in the RSHN-1 exploration well while the remaining 49 per cent is owned by Gazprom.

In 2008, Gazprom opened a representative office in Algeria to develop its activities in Africa in partnership with Sonatrach. The company in November 2010 drilled RSH-2 exploration well, which was Gazprom’s first discovery of hydrocarbon reserves in North Africa.

Alain Charles Publishing, University House, 11-13 Lower Grosvenor Place, London, SW1W 0EX, UK
T: +44 20 7834 7676, F: +44 20 7973 0076, W:

twn Are you sure that you want to switch to desktop version?