Hess makes Pecan-1 discovery offshore Ghana

Drilling offshore Ghana. (Image source: Hess Corporation)Drilling offshore Ghana. (Image source: Hess Corporation)Hess Corporation has announced the discovery of oil in the Deepwater Tano/Cape Three Points license offshore Ghana

The Pecan-1 exploration well has encountered 75 net metres of oil pay in two separate Turonian intervals in the block.

Hess currently has a 90 per cent interest in the block with the Ghana National Petroleum Corporation (GNPC) holding the remaining 10 per cent.

The Pecan-1 well was drilled to a total depth of 4,700m in a water depth of 2,500m.

An extensive data acquisition programme was undertaken including wireline logs and MDTs.

The well was then sidetracked to obtain bypass cores and is now being suspended.

A statement made by Hess said that the company will next drill the Cob prospect, which is located approximately 24km northeast of the Pecan-1 discovery.

Pre-development and further exploration activities are planned in 2013.

The Pecan-1 discovery forms Hess’ fifth discovery on the block and follows the previously announced discoveries at Almond (16 net metres oil pay), Beech (45 net metres oil pay), Hickory North (30 net metres gas condensate pay) and Paradise (37 net metres oil pay and 90 net metres gas condensate pay).

Alain Charles Publishing, University House, 11-13 Lower Grosvenor Place, London, SW1W 0EX, UK
T: +44 20 7834 7676, F: +44 20 7973 0076, W: www.alaincharles.com

twn Are you sure that you want to switch to desktop version?