Statoil and ExxonMobil discover gas offshore Tanzania

oil rig marianne muegenburg cothern flickrStatoil and ExxonMobil have made a joint bid to explore an offshore block that belongs to Tanzania. (Image source: Marianne Muegenburg/Flickr) Norwegian oil and gas company Statoil and American oil major ExxonMobil have discovered two to three trillion cubic feet tcf of gas in Piri well, offshore Tanzania

This has been declared a "high impact natural gas" discovery, and is the fifth major find in Block 2, offshore Tanzania, stated reports. The Piri well is situated two km south-west of the Lavani-1 well, at a depth of 2,360 metres.

Officials at Statoil said this discovery brings the total in-place volumes up to nearly 20 tcf in Block 2. The company added that it has enjoyed a 100 per cent success rate in Tanzania, and the region has become a core exploration area for them.

Nick Maden, senior vice president at Statoil, said, "We quickly went from a single-well to a multi-well programme and with Piri-1, we are continuing the trend."

A Reuters report stated that Tanzania has 46.5 tcf of proven natural gas reserves, up from 42.7 tcf previously, and expects exploration off its southern coast will result in more discoveries. Previously, Statoil had made high-impact oil discoveries – Zafarani-1, Lavani-1, Tangawizi-1 and Mronge-1. Lavani-2 was made well beneath the Lavani-1 discovery.

"We expect to drill several additional exploration and appraisal wells and hope that the results from these wells will continue to add gas volumes for a future large-scale gas infrastructure development," added Maden.

The Norwegian explorer operates the licence on Block 2, on behalf of Tanzania Petroleum Development Corporation (TPDC) and has a 65 per cent working interest. ExxonMobil Exploration and Production Tanzania Limited holds the remaining 35 per cent.

Statoil has been in Tanzania since 2007 when it was allowed to operate Block 2. Recently, Statoil and ExxonMobil made a joint bid to develop an offshore block belonging to Tanzania.

Alain Charles Publishing, University House, 11-13 Lower Grosvenor Place, London, SW1W 0EX, UK
T: +44 20 7834 7676, F: +44 20 7973 0076, W: www.alaincharles.com

twn Are you sure that you want to switch to desktop version?