Tanzania to start fourth exploration licensing round

rig 2 oct 7In Tanzania, the fourth licensing round will begin for seven deep sea offshore blocks and for the Lake Tanganyika North Offshore Block. (Image source: Kris Krug/Flickr)The Tanzania Petroleum Development Corporation (TDPC) has announced that the fourth licensing round for eight of the country’s offshore blocks will begin on 25 October 2013

According to a statement by the state-owned establishment, seven deep sea offshore blocks are located in water depths of up to 3,000 metres. The eighth one, the Lake Tanganyika North Offshore Block, is located in 1,500 metres of water along the western arm of the East African Rift System, reported to have prospective commercial liquid hydrocarbons.

Firms like UK’s BG Group and Ophir Energy have already made considerable progress in gas discoveries in the countries.

BG Group is the operator, with a 60 per cent interest, in Blocks 1, 3 and 4 offshore Tanzania. Ophir Energy holds the remaining 40 per cent interest.

New 2D seismic data covering the blocks is available for viewing and purchase at ION Geoventures in Houston and in London, TPDC said.

Bidders can view this data after licensing round commences, the corporation added.

Alain Charles Publishing, University House, 11-13 Lower Grosvenor Place, London, SW1W 0EX, UK
T: +44 20 7834 7676, F: +44 20 7973 0076, W: www.alaincharles.com

twn Are you sure that you want to switch to desktop version?