Total oil discovery offshore Nigeria

Total, E&P, Nigeria, TEPNG, Oil, Nigeria, africa, discovery, exploration, Ofon, OML, EtisongTotal E&P Nigeria (TEPNG) makes oil discovery in southeastern corner of Oil Mining Lease (OML) 102 in Nigeria.

Total E&P Nigeria (TEPNG) makes oil discovery in southeastern corner of Oil Mining Lease (OML) 102 in Nigeria, 65km off the southeastern coast of the country, about 15km southeast of the Ofon field

The Etisong North-1 well was drilled to a total depth of 2,387m in 80m of water. One of the three reservoirs encountered tested at 8,500 barrels per day of 40° API oil.

This is the second discovery in the lease, following on from the Etisong Main find in 2008, increasing the feasibility of a new development hub on OML 102.

“With the exploration being undertaken in Nigeria, Total intends to strengthen its growth strategy,” commented Marc Blaizot, Total’s Senior Vice President Exploration in response to the discovery. “This strategy is focused on two priorities. On one hand, to strengthen exploration near our production hubs in the conventional offshore to maintain our production levels. On the other hand, amplify deep offshore exploration on riskier prospects of large size around the Akpo and Usan field to grow our reserves.”

OML 102 is operated by TEPNG with a 40 per cent interest, alongside partner NNPC, which holds the remaining 60 per cent.

Total Exploration & Production in Nigeria

Total has been present in Nigeria for half a century. Its equity production averaged 300,000 barrels of oil equivalent per day in 2010. Deepwater developments are one of Total’s main growth avenues in Africa, particularly Nigeria, where the Group operates the Akpo field in OML 130. Total is also preparing to develop the Egina field in the same lease. In addition, the offshore Usan field in OML 138 is expected to be brought on stream in early 2012.

Total’s offshore production in Nigeria comes from OML 130, in which the Akpo field is located, and from OMLs 99, 100 and 102, which are operated by the Group as part of a joint venture with NNPC. The main fields in these leases are Amenam-Kpono, Ofon and Edikan.

Total’s onshore production comes from OML 58, which it also operates as part of its joint venture with NNPC. The principal assets are the Obagi oil field and the Ibewa natural gas field. A project is underway to increase the lease’s natural gas and condensate production capacity to supply the domestic market.


Bonga field

In addition, Total has significant equity production in Nigeria from its interests in non-operated ventures, particularly the SPDC joint venture (10 per cent) and SNEPCO (12.5 per cent), which includes the Bonga field. Total also has a 15 per cent interest in NLNG, whose liquefied natural gas production capacity was increased to 21.9mn metric tonnes per year when Train 6 was brought on stream in late 2007.

Total deploys an assertive local content policy, with locally worked hours accounting for 60 per cent and 90 per cent respectively of the Usan and OML 58 projects in Nigeria. The Group is also helping to build the deepwater expertise of Nigerian contractors, especially in the Niger Delta, a region that is home to more than half of Total’s Nigerian employees and most of its operations in the country.

Alain Charles Publishing, University House, 11-13 Lower Grosvenor Place, London, SW1W 0EX, UK
T: +44 20 7834 7676, F: +44 20 7973 0076, W:

twn Are you sure that you want to switch to desktop version?