BP Strikes Gas in Egypt's West Nile Delta

BP Egypt has made a significant gas discovery in the Deepwater West Nile Delta area.

The Hodoa discovery is located in the West Mediterranean Deepwater, Nile Delta concession, some 80 km northwest of Alexandria. The WMDW-7 well was drilled to a depth of 6350 m and is the first Oligocene Deep Water discovery in the West Nile Delta area. Further appraisal is underway.

BP operates and holds 80 per cent of the West Mediterranean Deepwater concession with RWE Dea holding the remaining 20 per cent. Hodoa was drilled by the Pride North America semisub rig, in a water depth of 1077 m.

Mike Daly, BP's Executive Vice President of Exploration said, "The Hodoa discovery further demonstrates the great potential of the deep reservoirs in the Nile Delta."

Hesham Mekawi, President and General Manager of BP Egypt, commented, "Hodoa is an important discovery which builds upon BP's previous successes in the West Nile Delta. This discovery further reinforces the leadership role played by BP in Egypt and its ongoing commitment towards the development of Egypt's future gas business."

Alain Charles Publishing, University House, 11-13 Lower Grosvenor Place, London, SW1W 0EX, UK
T: +44 20 7834 7676, F: +44 20 7973 0076, W: www.alaincharles.com

twn Are you sure that you want to switch to desktop version?