Repsol makes new gas discovery in Algeria

gas algeria-repsolRepsol currently produces approximately 8,000 boepd in the North Africa country. (Image source: Repsol)Repsol has announced its third gas discovery in the Illizi Basin, situated southeast of Algeria

The discovery in Tan Emellel Sud-Ouest-2 (TESO-2) exploration well in the Sud-Est Illizi Block is the continuation of an already very successful exploration campaign in the high-potential area, according to the Spanish explorer.

Repsol is the operator of the consortium with a 52.5 per cent stake in partnership with Enel owning 27.5 per cent and GDF Suez with 20 per cent stake. Sonatrach will hold a 51 per cent stake in the development and production phases, with the existing members maintaining their existing proportions in the remaining 49 per cent.

The gas discovery was made at a depth of 1,307 metres and well testing delivered a gas flow rate of 175,000 cu/m per day and 90 bpd of condensate with a 32/64-inch choke.

Repsol added that it aimed to drill at least four more additional wells in order to appraise the previous discoveries within the Sud-Est Illizi block.

Repsol’s activities in Algeria include one producing project Tin Fouyé Tabankort, one development project Reggane Nord and two exploration perimeters — Sud-Est Illizi awarded in December 2009 and Boughezoul awarded in October 2014.

Repsol currently produces approximately 8,000 boepd in the North African country.

Alain Charles Publishing, University House, 11-13 Lower Grosvenor Place, London, SW1W 0EX, UK
T: +44 20 7834 7676, F: +44 20 7973 0076, W: www.alaincharles.com

twn Are you sure that you want to switch to desktop version?