San Leon Energy starts drilling onshore well in Morocco

Tarfaya From Sky ElWaliElAlaoui Wikimedia CommonsDrilling off the onshore well in Tarfaya, Morocco is expected to take about one month. (Image source: ElWaliElAlaoui/Wikimedia Commons)San Leon Energy has announced the start of drilling on the El Aaiun-4 well in the Tarfaya conventional licence onshore Morocco

The UK-based company said the well is being drilled to a total depth of around 2,000 metres below the rotary table, using Entrepose Drilling’s Cabot 750 rig. The drilling is expected to take around 30 days.

The reservoir target is Tertiary channel sandstones and the surface location is around 14 kilometres from a gas market, the El Marsa OCP phosphate processing plant, near Foum el-Oued.

San Leon Energy is the operator of the Tarfaya licence and holds a 75 per cent net operated interest. ONHYM, the Moroccan National Bureau of Petroleum and Mines, holds the remaining 25 per cent interest.

According to information on the company’s website, the El Aaiun-4 well is testing a potential 32 bcf of stratigraphically trapped recoverable gas, located updip of existing tested gas.

San Leon Energy is focused on oil and gas exploration in Europe and North Africa. It has interests in six licences in Poland, making it the biggest focus area for the company. It also has interests in assets in France, Ireland, Spain, Romania and Albania. Without disclosing any details, the company also recently announced that it has received a bid for a potential takeover.

Alain Charles Publishing, University House, 11-13 Lower Grosvenor Place, London, SW1W 0EX, UK
T: +44 20 7834 7676, F: +44 20 7973 0076, W: www.alaincharles.com

twn Are you sure that you want to switch to desktop version?