Statoil and Exxon find natural gas in Tanzanian reservoir

Statoil_ExxonStatoil and ExxonMobil have confirmed they have encountered natural gas in Tanzania.Statoil and its partner ExxonMobil have confirmed that the Zafarai-1 well in Block 2 offshore Tanzania has encountered indications of natural gas

Statoil said that drilling operations are still ongoing and that it is too early to give any indication of size and commerciality. The well was spud in early January 2012 and drilling operations are expected to take up to a total of three months to complete.

The well is being drilled by the drill ship Ocean Rig Poseidon (UDW drillship) and is located some 80 km off mainland Tanzania. It is the first exploration well that has been drilled in the license which covers an area of approximately 5,500 sq km. The water depth at the well location is 2,582 m and the well itself is planned to reach a total depth of 5,150 m.

Statoil operates the license on Block 2 on behalf of Tanzania Petroleum Development Corporation (TPDC) and has a 65 per cent working interest with ExxonMobil Exploration and Production Tanzania holding the remaining 35 per cent.

Alain Charles Publishing, University House, 11-13 Lower Grosvenor Place, London, SW1W 0EX, UK
T: +44 20 7834 7676, F: +44 20 7973 0076, W: www.alaincharles.com

twn Are you sure that you want to switch to desktop version?