Statoil and ExxonMobil find gas offshore Tanzania

offshore tanzania-Berardo62 flickrStatoil has been operating in Tanzania since 2007. (Image source: Berardo62/Flickr)Statoil and partner ExxonMobil have discovered gas flow offshore Block 2 in Tanzania

Located in Block 2, the Zafarani-2 well tested two separate intervals and flowed at a maximum of 1.8mn standard cubic metres of gas per day, confirming good reservoir quality and connectivity, the Norwegian energy company said.

The test was conducted in water depth of 2,400 metres and approximately 80km off the coast of southern Tanzania.

Øystein Michelsen, Tanzania country manager for Statoil, said, “The ongoing appraisal programme is crucial to firm up the design and development basis for bringing gas to shore and a first phase onshore LNG project in Tanzania.

“We are now working constructively with our co-venturer ExxonMobil, Blocks 1, 3 and 4 and the Tanzanian authorities to progress the plans for a joint LNG plant development.”

Michelsen added that the Zafarani-2 operation will be followed by the appraisal well Zafarani-3, which concludes the planned appraisal in the Zafarani reservoir for a field development in Block 2.

Statoil operates the licence on Block 2 on behalf of Tanzania Petroleum Development Corporation (TPDC) and has a 65 per cent working interest. ExxonMobil Exploration and Production Tanzania holds the remaining 35 per cent.

Alain Charles Publishing, University House, 11-13 Lower Grosvenor Place, London, SW1W 0EX, UK
T: +44 20 7834 7676, F: +44 20 7973 0076, W: www.alaincharles.com

twn Are you sure that you want to switch to desktop version?