Statoil strikes gas offshore Tanzanian well

statoilStatoil’s presence in Tanzania dates back to 2007 when it was awarded to operate Block 2. (Image source: Statoil)Norwegian oil major Statoil has made an additional 28.5bn cu/m to 51.3bn cu/m of natural gas discovery at Mdalasini-1 exploration well located in Block 2 offshore Tanzania

The discovery of the additional natural gas brings the total of on-place volumes to up to 623mn cu/m in the block.

According to the company, the first phase of the multi-well exploration programme offshore Tanzania has come to an end with the Mdalasini-1 natural gas discovery.

Statoil senior vice-president for exploration activities in Western Hemisphere Nick Maden said, “Since the start of the programme in February 2012, we have drilled 13 wells and made eight discoveries, including Mdalasini-1. We still see high prospectivity in the area.”

Statoil carries a 100 per cent working interest in Mdalasini-1 well. Previously, Statoil and ExxonMobil had made seven gas discoveries in Block 2.

Statoil operates Block 2 on behalf of Tanzania Petroleum Development Corporation (TPDC) and has a 65 per cent working interest. The remaining 35 per cent is held by ExxonMobil and Production Tanzania.

Alain Charles Publishing, University House, 11-13 Lower Grosvenor Place, London, SW1W 0EX, UK
T: +44 20 7834 7676, F: +44 20 7973 0076, W: www.alaincharles.com

twn Are you sure that you want to switch to desktop version?