Dolphin Geophysical to conduct 3D seismic survey offshore Seychelles

us armay corps survey flickrDolphin Geophysical will survey an area of 1,500km offshore Seychelles for prospective oil drilling sites. (Image source: US Army Corp/Flickr)Ophir Energy has awarded a contract to marine geophysical services firm Dolphin Geophysical to conduct a 3D seismic survey across the Junon trend, offshore Seychelles

According to Australian energy company WHL Energy, Dolphin Geophysical will survey an area of 1,500km. The survey is designed to detect prospective drilling areas.

The 3D survey will be undertaken by the M/V Polar Duchess and is expected to commence June 28, 2014. The survey would take 30-40 days to complete, and a fast-track processed dataset is expected to be delivered in September 2014.

David Rowbottam, managing director of WHL Energy, said, “It is very pleasing to see the Seychelles project reach an important milestone with the acquisition of the first 3D dataset in the acreage. Because of the geological nature of the Seychelles region, it is believed that 3D seismic data will provide a significant upgrade to the understanding of our large exploration area. The Junon 3D dataset is expected to provide a high definition image of the Junon structures and provide a number of prospects for targeted drill site selection.”

Ophir Energy holds 75 per cent equity and WHL Energy holds the remaining 25 per cent in the Seychelles blocks, stated reports.

In April 2014, Seychelles signed a formal document approving Ophir Energy’s farm-in for a 75 per cent interest in WHL Energy’s offshore Seychelles petroleum exploration project area. The Junon 3D seismic survey fulfills the 3D seismic obligation under Ophir’s farm-in agreement with WHL Energy, added WHL authorities.

As part of the farm-in agreement, Ophir Energy will fully fund the initial 1,500 square kilometers 3D seismic acquisition program up to a total amount of US$17mn.

Alain Charles Publishing, University House, 11-13 Lower Grosvenor Place, London, SW1W 0EX, UK
T: +44 20 7834 7676, F: +44 20 7973 0076, W: www.alaincharles.com

twn Are you sure that you want to switch to desktop version?