Unsuccessful showing for Horn Petroleum in Puntland

Horn Petroleum unsuccessful update PuntlandHorn Petroleum has announced that results of a Drill Stem Test at the Shabeel North well in Puntland have come back negative. (Image source: Range Resources)A Horn Petroleum-led joint venture in Puntland, Somalia, has announced an unsuccessful first result at its operation at the Shabeel North well

An open-hole Drill Stem Test (DST) was conducted in the upper portion of the well’s primary Jesomma Foundation over a 50 metre gross range, at a depth of 1,910-1,960 metres, following positive oil shows.

The test results, however, revealed only fresh water with no trace of oil.

With a 60 per cent working interest, Canadian oil and gas company Horn Petroleum controls the Dharoor and Nugaal Valley Production Sharing Agreements, with the remaining 40 per cent split equally between oil firms Range Resources and Red Emperor.

The partnering oil companies intend to follow their original plan and continue drilling to an approximate depth of 2,400 metres in order to penetrate the remaining section of Jesomma sands. Electrical logging will then be utilised to determine whether further testing would be justified.

Alain Charles Publishing, University House, 11-13 Lower Grosvenor Place, London, SW1W 0EX, UK
T: +44 20 7834 7676, F: +44 20 7973 0076, W: www.alaincharles.com

twn Are you sure that you want to switch to desktop version?